Cooking with essential oils is not only tasty, but very good for you: The Oils contained in the fresh peels of citrus contain large amounts of limonene which encourages the body’s detoxification system and enhance antioxidant activity. Full flavour, with all the healing benefits!
Your Yoga Potion Pure Citrus Potions are wonderful for adding a zing of flavour to your drink, dressing or food:
- Use the essential oil in place of citrus zest – as a rule of thumb: 1 drop of a citrus oil can substitute for 1 tsp. of citrus zest; if the recipe calls for the zest from 1 citrus fruit, you can use 2-3 drops of the citrus essential oil instead (approx. 1. Tbsp).
- Note: Because the essential oil of Citrus is drawn from the fresh peel, Lemon Oil Potion can be substituted in recipes for the zest, but not the juice of the fruit.
Healthy Salad Dressing
Simply wash your citrus fruit, and using a zester, grate the whole fruit – Lemon or Dark Orange is my preference – Add the zest to 1 cup olive oil and use as a dressing or by itself.
Healthy Salad Dressing with Citrus Essential Oil
In a hurry? Just add 2 drops of Lemon Oil or Dark Orange to 1/4 cup Olive Oil mix and serve!
Here is a short list of some of the ways just lemon essential oils can be use around us and on our bodies.
- Respiratory Aid – If you or someone has wheezing, cold or cough put some lemon oil in a humidifier to help ease it.
- Itchy throat – Add a couple drops of lemon essential oil to warm water and honey can help.
- Hair Highlights – Use a couple drops to lighten your hair. Use caution since it works well
- Focus – Diffusing or inhaling lemon oils can clear your mind and help you focus.
- Boost Your Water – Add a couple drops to a glass of water for an energy boost and a lemony taste.
- Food Flavoring – Instead of using lemon rind use a couple of drops of lemon essential oil. Examples, Lemon frosting, lemon cookies, spray if with olive oil on a salad, lemon caper chicken…you get the idea.
- Natural Cleaner – Use it to polish silver, stainless steel, furniture polish, and on natural stone counters and floors.
- Moldy laundry – Use it to take out the moldy smell of that laundry you forgot in the washing machine.
- Freshen Up and Disinfect – Diffuse or spray lemon oil and neutralize odors at their source. Can be used on counter tops also.
- Remove Sticky Gunk! – Lemon essential oil can remove the sticky, greasy gunk. This means grease, sum, sap or the gunk leftover from peeling off stickers and price tags; a couple of drop will do the trick to remove the mess.
Citrus essential oils have many properties and benefits in common…
- Insects: repel insects and treat the itching and inflammation from bites and stings.
Antioxidant: support the immune system, to fight colds and flu virus, bronchitis and fevers.
- Digestive system: relieve diarrhea, constipation, and gas. Stimulate organs to work smoothly.
- Circulatory system: stimulate function of organs, help detox the body.
- Infections: they are antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant.
- Sedative and calming: relax muscles, arthritis and rheumatism, reduce stress and anxiety and promote peaceful feelings.
- Energizing: Uplifting energy, promote happy, positive feelings.